Cross Country

Chris Fox returns to SU as cross country assistant

Courtesy of SU Athletics

Chris Fox returns to Syracuse as an assistant after spending 13 seasons with the Orange previously.

Former Syracuse cross country and track and field coach Chris Fox is returning to both programs as an assistant. He will replace ex-assistant Griff Graves who left for Pittsburgh in August. Fox was SU’s head coach from 2005-18 before he left to helm the inception of the Reebok Boston Track Club for five years.

Through 14 seasons with Syracuse, Fox led the Orange to six straight Atlantic Coast Conference Championships and multiple top-10 finishes. His first tenure is highlighted by the 2015 NCAA Men’s Cross Country National Championship, which capped off a historic undefeated season. Fox was also named the 2015 USTFCCCA National Coach of the Year.

Prior to Fox’s arrival in 2005, Syracuse had failed to clinch an NCAA Championship berth in 30 years. By the time of his departure, Fox coached 67 All-American runners between cross country and track and field. The Orange have qualified for the NCAA Championships every year since 2009.

Fox’s return to SU signals a reunion with current head coach Brien Bell. Bell, who is now entering his sixth year as a helm, arrived at Syracuse with Fox and served as his assistant for all 13 years.